Thursday, June 28, 2007

Concluding ebooks and cyberbullying

This is the last week of discussing ebooks. I have to admit, when I was first assigned that topic, I was not thrilled. I thought I would not be able to find any information. Surprisingly, there is alot of information out there. I learned that when ebooks first hit the market years ago, there was a big hype and people expected them to be very popular. But, they weren't and nobody really discussed them. Now, they are trying to make a comeback by targeting certain markets, such as textbooks. I think this is a great idea. I always hated lugging around my huge textbooks so I feel in this venue they could be successful. As with anything, they do have their pros and cons. Again, I feel that if they are used in the right venue, ebooks have a future.
This week in my class, the topic of discussion is cyberbullying. I feel that cyberbullying is just as bad as face to face bullying and should be stopped by all means. In schools, we as educators have to work with our parents to make sure that children our using the computers safely and not recklessly. It is an important partnership that must be fostered.
Again, thank you for your comments and next week I will be moving on to the topic of digital cameras.

2 comments:

www.makingwaves said...

I agree, e-books will make a comeback. I don't know how strong it will be, but there is room for this service.

I am learning there are many people that enjoy being on the computer whether it is loneliness, or business. But, with these two types and many other reasons, ebooks will be serviced.

For myself, I am not interested, and enjoy just parking myself somewhere and reading. Being in a relaxing place just makes the book more appealing.

You know what I was thinking about earlier and forgot to ask? I bet health related issues will increase due to the increase of computer use. Have you read about this issue occuring more in your research about e-books? Just a thought.

Lastly, cyberbullying is the same to me as bullying and it is not acceptable. Once again, education about this topic is a MUST! I know we won't be able to touch on everything that will but children in danger and unfortunately,the prediators want that. But we need to address as much as we can, and keep up to their quick, evil and witting actions!

JMcIntyre said...

I think that as a replacement for the printed word, ebooks will never really take off. In fact, books might start to become even more popular in print form as people spend more and more time in front of blackberries, pda's, and laptops; just to take a break from a screen!

However, I have been using ebooks quite a bit lately as a teacher, and find them to be really useful. In fact, just last week I couldn't find enough information for my next unit topic in the school library, and was missing several workbooks. Instead of driving to a specialty store or teaching an incomplete unit, I just went to http://www.dedicatedteacher.com, downloaded what I needed, and moved on to the next project. It was cheaper and easier than usual, exactly what ebooks were meant for!